To mark world water day, here are 5 water-related facts, courtesy of Waterwise.
1. In the UK we flush 2 billion litres of water down the toilet every day.
2. In Abu Dhabi, average per capita household water consumption is 3,300 litres per day; in the UK it’s 150 litres, and to survive a human being needs about 4 litres.
3. Globally we use 2 million litres of water per second to grow food – the equivalent of 800 olympic-sized swimming pools.
4. Five percent of UK CO2 emissions come from heating water for bathing and washing at home.
5. Water covers 70% of the Earth but only about 1% is available for human use.